The Week in Review:



On Tuesday I went to Whole Foods. It was uneventful and I don’t know why it made me so tense, but it did.  I got home and thought I’d try gardening to relax. When I went to turn on the hose, I discovered the hard way that the splitter had cracked in two—water right to the face. I resolved that, then got my shoes soaked when I realized too late that the same thing happened to the nozzle. Then the spigot to the house started leaking all over the place so badly, we had to turn the valve off from inside the basement. A plumber will need to be called. The Get Goldman Office is obviously still staffed with essential employees.
On Wednesday I spent the entire day at my desk, doing nothing, picking my ear and grumbling about the weather.
On Thursday I woke up with water-on-the-knee, which happens when I sit too long—ever since I dislocated my knee when I was 16, playing baseball. (BASEBALL?! What’s that?!) I decided that maybe I could avoid the plumber if I got a new splitter, so I called Westport Hardware. They sold me a splitter and nozzle, cheaper than Amazon, and left them outside their door for pickup in 20 minutes. Once I picked that up, I decided to be a naughty girl and make a day of it.
If only my neighbor could have followed me with her surveillance drone! I got curbside wine, & in-store cat food (which I contemplated shop-lifting since there was absolutely NO ONE in the store, not even an employee, and I had to shout like an idiot, “ANYBODY HERE?!” to get someone to ring me up.)  Then I hit Stop-n-Shop looking for yeast. There was none, but they did have the popsicles my husband likes, and some usually elusive pancake mix. And what they hell, while I’m all dolled up with my neon mask on, I might as well try Fresh Market on my way home. No yeast, but they did have the half-n-half I forgot to buy at whole foods on Tuesday.
After visiting five places in one day, I was quite energized.
I resumed gardening when I got home. A purple flowering plant sprawled across the garden bed, yet over the winter it died in the middle, leaving a sort of groundcover donut. Ridiculous looking. I hacked it into sections and straightened it into a border. My MIL would have loved my spade-work. I set up the new splitter; I didn’t get wet. It was a miracle. The spigot is still dripping, though not as badly. I might still call the plumber. He is a good-looking older man with very dry humor. I enjoy seeing him, though from six feet away my enjoyment might be diminished. I’m hoping he’ll come, since it’s an outside job.
At 5pm, my husband wanted coffee and my son wanted “pies-n-fries” (which makes me McSick, but to each their own...), so I went out again. What excitement will tomorrow bring?!  
Friday: Made another bread, started it last night. It’s different, but still good. This recipe took 16 hours to make. The whole thing will be eaten in under 16 minutes, I think.
This morning, my husband got mulch from Lowes even though it’s too cold to plant, and we don’t have anything to mulch. But he has had mulch-envy for weeks. Many of our neighbors get giant heaps of mulch delivered; mountainous piles stand in their driveways. My husband wants to be king of the mulch-mountain. But our garden bed is smaller than our sleeping bed, so a bag or two is all we need. Today, my husband bought six. But he also took me to Speedy Donuts in Norwalk, so I let it go.
The plumber is coming at 2pm.  I cleaned up a little & vacuumed in his honor.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad news

More about dinner

Less Anxious