Wimbledon


If I wake up in the morning and think, “I’m spending a lovely day at home with my family,” then I’m fine. If I wake up and think about the future at all, I feel despondent. If I think, “This?! Till July?!” my counting brain starts doing the math and it makes me edgy and snappish. That brings me to my most-hated cliché: “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” To which I retort, “No. What doesn’t kill you only makes you wish you were dead.” 

I have adjusted to the working from home/schooling from home situation. I have kept a sunny attitude despite my great disappointment over the cancellation of the NBA season, the MLB season, and my 10-day trip to the Baltics. I survived quarantine. I have put up with my neighbor’s bullshit. I make meals. I morale-march. I stiff-upper-lip-it. But today, as inconsequential as this might seem, when my son told me they canceled Wimbledon, I had to strangle back a sob. It was enough. I had reached my limit.

My son and I watch Wimbledon together every summer. Ever since he was born, we have had “Breakfast at Wimbledon”. We eat strawberries and cream. We have tea. We sit on the sofa and root for people we have never heard of, as well as our favorites. When my son was very small, he loved playing balloon tennis over the back of the couch. He would be Federer. I would be Nadal. He would be Murray. I would be Nadal. He would be Djokovic. You get the picture. We would bat the balloon back and forth with our hands and try trick shots. He would laugh hysterically and say, “Good one, Mommy!” We would call out the score, “Love, you!” When my son was older, there was one special summer when we were in London while Wimbledon was on, and we went from park to park, watching it on big screens at venues all over the city. We would watch the crowds on the lawn and think about taking the Tube out there, but we never did. We said, “Next time.” We are not tennis fans by any stretch, but my son and I always had that one summer week where we pretended together. 

I know that there are seniors who have missed proms and commencements; brides and grooms with canceled weddings. I know there are bigger life-moments than a few days of tennis, and it’s silly to be sad about it. But I can’t help it. Wimbledon is apparently my limit.
And as I typed this, with tears in my eyes, my son came in to show me something on his phone. He said, “Mom! We might not have Wimbledon, but we’ll always have this!”
Not the same, but it did make me laugh.

Comments

  1. I, too, hate whatever doesn't kill you blah blah blah. Your version is much better. Another thing I don't like and disagree with is that you're not allowed to feel disappointed/angry/whatever over something just because there's someone somewhere who has it worse than you. Using that logic, only that one most downtrodden miserable person in the world has any right to feel bad. Bullshit. Feeling bad over missing something you absolutely loved and enjoyed doing is fine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sad news

More about dinner

Less Anxious