June Recap



I chopped off all my hair. I look like a cross between Rachel Maddow and Elizabeth Warren. My son cut it for me. He did a fine enough job; vanity has never been my jam anyway.

I started playing pickleball again, after a 3-month hiatus. It has been a sanity-saver. Several times a week, I get to be safely-social, take out a little aggression, and have a reason to leave my house. It has eaten up a lot of my time though: once I drive to the court, play, drive home, shower, empty my water-bottle and put my gear away, somehow 5 hours have gone by. Then I make a meal, or not, and the day is done. I don’t know if this is good or bad.

My son has a girlfriend now and they have had to get creative to see each other. So far, they’ve gone to the beach, the Audubon society and an Aspetuck Land Trust. They hug hello and goodbye, but the rest of the time, they don’t get close.
My teenage-years were filled with movies, bowling, ball-games, pizza places, public transportation, malls, basement-hangouts and a lot of body-on-body time. In contrast, my son and his GF are watercolor painting en plein air, six feet apart. They are running out of ideas of things to do and places to meet, but they seem happy. It’s very sweet.

We finally broke down and bought a portable air-conditioner--mostly because the guinea pig was suffering from heat-stroke. We put both pig and a/c in my son’s room. My son said, “Oh. I see how it is. I complain for 10 years that I’m suffering and can’t sleep in my room every summer, but the guinea pig is *uncomfortable* so now we have an air conditioner?!”
Priorities, man. Priorities.

To celebrate the 4th of July, we bought an air-fryer, because nothing says America like fried food. We watched Hamilton, ate cherry pie and took a moonlit walk. I also set foot in Target for the first time since March. It was surprisingly boring and normal, now that mask-wearing is normal. I bought a skirt, two towels and a box of cake mix. 

Comments

  1. Yay on your hair. I bought walmart clippers, put the 1" attachment on it, and did my whole head. Love it.
    I can't even imagine being a teenager thru all this. Poor kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sad news

More about dinner

Mother-in-law